Pages

Multicultural Resources for Raising World Citizens

When my baby was born (8 years ago) I was sure of one thing. I wanted to raise him to embrace his multiculturalism, and to become a global citizen. 



Besides, exposing him to foods, and books from other countries I also rely on resources such as the Diversity Calendar and Games Around the World that I am featuring today. These are resources  you can use to help you raise a world citizen. 
Here are my go-to resources for raising world citizens at home, and in the classroom:

Becky from Kid World Citizen has a Diversity Calendar that can be found here. While I realize that this is for the academic calendar year, and it is December you can still use this for this month, and the rest of the year. I love that this calendar has all of the major world religions, and it also includes fun holidays like Penguin Appreciation Day next month, and International Polar Bear Day in February among many more: 
  • multicultural and ethnic festivals
  • religious holy days from all major religions
  • environmental days to celebrate and honor our planet
  • United Nations International Days such as “Global Youth Service Day“
  • fun holidays that celebrate friendship, empathy, and kindness
I love this calendar, and now each month you have the holidays, festivals, and celebrations listed by dates.  It's easy to follow, and a real-time saver.  Perfect for the classroom or for you homeschool. Who knew there was an International Polar Day in February? You can get your Diversity Calendar here



Have you ever wondered how to play games from around the world, and had no clue where to look? Julie from Globe Trottin' Kids has an amazing resource with Games Around the World which includes: 
  • a summary table. Plan for the materials or equipment needed to play each game, as well as the best setting to play (indoor/outdoor) and the number of children needed to play.
  • a world map. Students keep their own copy to track the countries they have played games from.
  • 35 instruction cards. The colorful cards, decorated with the country’s flag, include clear instructions to prepare and play the game, its country of origin, and printables when necessary.
  • 8 extension activities. Students compare games, invent a new game, research other games, and more!
I love her games!  These can be used in the classroom, or homeschool.  I would also venture to use them in cultural playdates, or parties.  When planning a lesson on Ghana, Japan or Australia play  one of the games, and the kids will love it!

Want to know more about Games Around the World? Click here

Disclosure:  I received electronic copies of both resources for purposes of this review. I did not received monetary compensation for my review.  All opinions are my own.